I saw an article the other day about why you should really upgrade from Windows XP, It’s now been a few years since Microsoft started the end of official support for XP.
Here are just a few…
- Security: Windows XP is full of security holes and nasty hackers know all about them so it could leave your machine open to attack (Yes even virtual machines)
- Hardware: Lots of newer hardware/graphics cards may not work on a Windows XP designed computer/laptop.
- Software: Programs may stop functioning on Windows XP or the OS may not even be supported by the software vendor.
- Newer software is mostly designed to only run only on later versions of Windows 8/10. If software stops functioning then you’ll be forced back to using older copies of those pieces of software on XP, which again could lead to security issues.
- XP is over 16 years old & there have been 5 releases of a new OS by Microsoft in that time. Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
- Many major software companies are now blocking installs or upgrades of their software on Windows XP. It’s only a matter of time before others follow suit.
- .NET 4.6.1 and above will NOT install on Windows XP
Yes you do! Time to open that wallet and upgrade to some newer hardware. Technology has moved on a great deal since XP designed computers.
A new computer shouldn’t have to cost the earth you can pick up a decent box these days on the Internet for around £200/$280, Or cheaper if you’re not bothered about massive amounts of RAM/CPU.
Of course if you do want to stick with XP until the bitter end then that’s still your choice.
Just don’t complain too loudly when components of software stop functioning properly or won’t install on your computer.
Lets face it you wouldn’t expect software written today to work on Windows 95 would you?
**Update: 15th May 2017 Over the past few days there were a large number of cyber attacks on organisations with the WannaCrypt attacks its recommended you patch your copy of XP.
Or better still you need to be thinking about upgrading your computer its only a matter of time before another attack these hackers aren’t stupid.
Last updated on: January 1st, 2018
at 12:14 PM Europe/London