Installing RadioDJ the easy way…
We know it can be daunting and scary installing new software for the first time, Especially if you aren’t used to using software that requires a database, but don’t panic it’s not as difficult as you might think.
If you follow these easy steps and have a bit of patience then you should have the program up and running in no time.
1) Starting off with a FRESH clean install of your Windows operating system is a good bet.
Don’t forget to backup files before you reformat Windows.
Once you’ve reinstalled Windows and downloaded & installed all required security patches/updates/drivers for your PC then you can begin the process of installing and configuring RadioDJ.
2) Make sure you turn off the UAC (User Account Control)
Tip: Start>Control Panel>User Accounts>Change user account control settings
We have ours set at the lowest level so it never interferes with the smooth running of RadioDJ.
To check to see if Maria DB has installed without any errors mysqld.exe should now be running as a service. You can check that via task manager.
(Right click on task bar to open task manager)
If the SQL server is running and working then it’s time to move onto configuring RadioDJ.
4) Download RadioDJ by clicking on the logo below.
Unzip & Place the RadioDJ folder into your C:\ drive outside of the programs folder and give the RadioDJ folder full Administrator read/write privileges.
5) Make sure you have .NET (3.5 will do) Installed
Windows 10 should automatically install this for you when you go to open a .NET program. Once that’s installed you can move on to the next step.
6) Inside the RadioDJ program folder you will find a folder called “Setup” inside that folder there is a file called “databaseSetup.exe” right click and open as “administrator” you should be on this screen.
Enter the details for your SQL server.
MySQL server = 127.0.0.1 or just localhost.
MySQL database = Usually this is just “radiodj” (You can call it what you like)
MySQL username = Default user is usually “root”.
MySQL password = The password you chose when setting up the SQL server.
7) Click on “Install database” and the database should now be installed without any errors. If you entered the details correctly you should then see “MySQL server online”
If the database has installed correctly and RadioDJ opens without errors then you should be good to start importing tracks into RadioDJ.
You do that from the options menu by selecting either track/directory import.
8) On first run make sure you set a sound card (Options> Options> Sound cards) otherwise you will get .NET errors popping up. You will need to restart RadioDJ for sound card changes to take effect.
9) Left click on the radiodj.exe icon in the RadioDJ folder and send to your desktop as a shortcut.
Then start the program from the desktop as you would any other Windows executable program. (Make sure it’s running as “Administrator”)
10) If all has gone to plan you should now be able to start enjoying a stress free radio automation experience!
For more advice & tips about using Radio DJ please search the RadioDJ Community forums.
Another useful site with lots of tips on using Radio DJ can be found Here
We hope this guide is easy enough for people to understand.
Remember: All you need is a bit of patience and lots of Coffee! (Or drink of your choice)
Once you get used to how RadioDJ works you’ll be amazed at what it can do for your music automation & radio station.